Share with others and donate
A quick Google search demonstrates that there are a lot of Symbian users out there having problems with their Ovi Store app. The most likely causes can be traced back to testing beta software, that inadvertently interferes with Qt libraries. I’ve already written on All About Symbian about one way to remedy such problems in “When beta testing goes bad”. Once again though, I have just had to repair my Nokia C7 again, after it developed a bug where the Ovi Store would get stuck on the loading screen. Read on to find out how I fixed it.
For reasons that are still unknown to me, the Ovi Store app (v2.08) on my C7, suddenly would not load. It was stuck at the blue and green loading screen, continually playing the spinning icon animation.
I had recently installed the updated Nokia Bubbles application. However, things had been fine immediately after installing it. Therefore, I’m reluctant to point the finger, but it was the only piece of beta software I’d installed on that phone since the last time I’d reinstalled Qt.
Whatever the reason, I could not get into the Ovi Store. I tried the following list of remedies, as a ’graded response’, without success:
- Rebooting the phone several times
- Soft reset by dialing *#7370#, this in turns forces a re-installation of the Ovi Store client.
- Re-logging into the Ovi Store account via Ovi Maps
- Logging into Ovi Maps with a different Ovi Store account
- Reinstalling the Qt libraries via the Qt SDK
- Using a different SIM card, on a different network.
After reading many discussions on the Nokia Beta Labs forums, I came across a discussion that told how re-installation of Nokia Reader had fixed the same problem as I was having. This might sound unlikely, but a pre-requisite of installing Nokia Reader is to install a .sis file for the Ovi Notifications Support Package.
Having installed that .sis file, without bothering with the Nokia Reader application (I’m becoming very shy of Beta Labs apps, despite their appeal), I rebooted the C7 and tried the Ovi Store. To my delight, it started up as normal.
This is all rather unscientific, especially without knowing the original cause of the problem. However, I think it’s worth reporting ‘whatever works’, even on a purely phenomenological basis. I’d like to collect more data points, so please share your stories in the comments – it would be interesting to see if a pattern emerges!